Saturday, July 29, 2006

Corn and Narcoleptic Goats

The bad thing about starting this blog a month ahead of our trip is that now I kinda feel an obligation to actually update this thing periodically. The "preparing for the road trip" process ain't always all that thrilling, so this could make for some less-than-scintillating blogging. So I should publicly apologize, in advance, for the blogging to come. Ah well.

Anyway, I bring you another important national landmark that we may or may not be stopping by:


You have to admit, the sign is pretty intriguing. I think the Corn Palace gets major points for just the sign. Anyway, the Corn Palace is this really odd-looking building in Mitchell, South Dakota (the corn capital of the world, of course), located right along our planned route. I think Kathy was pretty intrigued until we found out that alas, the Corn Palace isn't actually MADE of corn, which had been my natural assumption. It's made of concrete. Every spring, however, they cover the exterior of the building with lots and lots of corn arranged into large murals:


Although a little disappointed, I still think this is a fairly cool thing and something we gotta see. In retrospect, I don't know how we thought they could make a building entirely out of corn. It's hard to imagine that it would be structurally sound. It would probably rot to the ground after a year, or the birds would eat it all up, or some kid would pull out one corn cob and the whole thing would tumble down. But I still want to see the thing. Kathy's not so hot on the idea, maybe disillusioned by the perceived false advertising of the "Corn Palace", or maybe because she senses (probably correctly) that this is one of those tourist traps like the Mini-Old Faithful Geyser/Narcoleptic Goat Farm in Calistoga that you pay fifteen bucks to get into and then leave with the distinct sense that you, sir, have just been ripped off of fifteen bucks.

I know she's right. But I don't know if I'll be able to resist the pull of that sign.

3 Comments:

At 7/30/2006 1:39 PM, Blogger Umo said...

I've been to Dollywood. Good times.

 
At 7/30/2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Umo said...

The more I think about it, the more I think you have to go to Corn Palace. If anything it may be even more impressive that they cover the outside of the "palace" with corn, than if the entire thing was corn. That means that every year they plan a new design and artfully put it together.

It's like those macaroni cards we made in kindergarten but for South Dakotans. And corn. And on a building.

Also, after many, many, many, (many) miles of vast cornfields and road, you'll want to see something (anything) that isn't horizon.

Okay, I'll stop hogging your comments section.

 
At 9/11/2006 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before the moment we approached the Corn Palace on foot and I saw the concrete and plywood in person, I too was convinced it was made entirely of corn. But I think the photos inside of all of the previous Corn Palaces made it worth the trip anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home